Thursday, November 28, 2013

World AIDS Day 1/12/2013- HIV and Adolescents

. More than 2 million adolescents between the ages of 10 and 19 years are living with HIV, and many do not receive the care and support that they need to stay in good health and prevent transmission. In addition, millions more adolescents are at risk of infection.

The failure to support effective and acceptable HIV services for adolescents has resulted in a 50% increase in reported AIDS-related deaths in this group compared with the 30% decline seen in the general population from 2005 to 2012.

Addressing the specific needs of adolescents

The WHO recommendations "HIV and adolescents: Guidance for HIV testing and counselling and care for adolescents living with HIV" are the first to address the specific needs of adolescents both for those living with HIV as well as those who are at risk of infection. They are being released in advance of World AIDS Day 2013 (1 December).

“Adolescents face difficult and often confusing emotional and social pressures as they grow from children into adults, “Adolescents need health services and support, tailored to their needs. They are less likely than adults to be tested for HIV and often need more support than adults to help them maintain care and to stick to treatment.”

Across sub-Saharan Africa, many who were infected at birth are becoming adolescents. In addition to the many changes associated with adolescence, they also face the challenges of living with a chronic infection: disclosing the news to friends and family and preventing transmission to sexual partners.

“Adolescents need health services and support, tailored to their needs. They are less likely than adults to be tested for HIV and often need more support than adults to help them maintain care and to stick to treatment.”


“Adolescent girls, young men who have sex with men, those who inject drugs or are subject to sexual coercion and abuse are at highest risk. They face many barriers, including harsh laws, inequalities, stigma and discrimination which prevent them from accessing services that could test, prevent, and treat HIV,”. “About one-seventh of all new HIV infections occur during adolescence. Unless the barriers are removed, the dream of an AIDS-free generation will never be realized.”

Making it easier to know HIV status

Furthermore, many young people do not know their HIV status. For example, in sub-Saharan Africa, it is estimated that only 10% of young men and 15% of young women (15-24 years) know their HIV status and, in other regions, although data is scarce, access to HIV testing and counseling by vulnerable adolescents is consistently reported as being very low.

WHO recommends governments review their laws to make it easier for adolescents to obtain HIV testing without needing consent from their parents. The guidelines also suggest ways that health services can improve the quality of care and social support for adolescents. And they highlight the value of involving this age group to create an adolescent-centered approach to the services that work for people of their age.

Better equipping adolescents

“Young people need to be better equipped to manage their HIV infection and take ownership of their health care,”. “We have seen for example in Zimbabwe that, by developing adolescent friendly services, it is possible to achieve good treatment outcomes among adolescents. We urge others to be inspired by these examples.”

To help health workers put these recommendations into practice WHO has developed a new online tool which will be launched in January 2014. It uses practical examples from country programmes that are working closely with adolescents on HIV issues.



The guidelines provide recommendations and expert suggestions – mainly for policy-makers and national programme managers – on prioritizing, planning and providing HIV testing, counselling and care services for adolescents. Designed to be used with the recent WHO consolidated Antiretroviral guidelines, these new guidelines provide complimentary recommendations and guidance to support better provision of services to help adolescents remain in care and adhere to treatment.

The guidelines were developed based on scientific evidence, community consultations with adolescents and health workers, field experience of health workers and expert opinion. WHO led the development of these guidelines in collaboration with the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), the Global Network of People Living with HIV (GNP+), the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), and the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA).

3 comments:


  1. Hello" thankGod for the wonderful healing spell power which smart render to my life which oracle support, i was been diagnosed with HIV-AIDS over 7years now which has lead me to unployment and loosing my relationship with my fiance after he heard that i am suffering from the VIRUS, i tried begging him to allow me stays with him, but he still insist on letting me out of his home, until a friend of mine on facebook from SOUTH AFRICA told me more about smart the great healer, that he is going to help restore and healed my diseased with his powerful healing spell, she send me of smart email address and i quickly contacted him, and he replied to after 30mins of my message that my disease is a little and minor disease, that he will solved the disease immediately only if i can accept all he requested from, i told him yes, because truly i know that " HIV-AIDS IS A WICKED AND DEADLY DISEASE I EVER KNOWS ". so i did all he want from me and suprisingly on friday last week smart called me that my problems is solvesd that i should hurry up to the hospital for a checkup, which i truly really did, i comfirm from my doctor that i am now HIV-NEGATIVE AND NOT LONG +, I jump up and was crying heavily because truly the disease drive alot of things away from my life, my friends, my cousin, my fiance and relatives, but now since i was comfirm NEGATIVE- my lost friends and fiance has been back to me begging for forgiveness, i have forgiven them and now we are now best of friend. again i will say to smart that he is blessed and may the almighty God which i serve raise him and his family to the higher level in life. Thank and god bless. Please email smart for healing and solution now at = destinysmart11@gmail.com
    FROM U.S.A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I work in a communication company I want to share my testimony to
    the world, my name is maria Katrina, i am from united kingdom in
    Belfast north Ireland, I was a stripper in a club I got effected with
    HIV due to the nature of my job, In April 15 2013 i was tested
    positive to HIV, This is not design to convince you but its just a
    personal health experience . I never taught doctor Hakim could ever
    get my HIV-AIDS cured with his healing herb spell, i have tried almost
    everything but I couldn't find any solution on my disease, despite all
    these happening to me, i always spend a lot to buy a HIV drugs from
    hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one
    day i was just browsing on the internet when i came across a great
    post of !Michelle! who truly said that she was been diagnose with HIV
    and was healed that very week through the help of this great powerful
    healing spell doctor ,I wonder why he is called the great papa Hakim,
    i never knew it was all because of the great and perfect work that he
    has been doing that is causing all this. so I quickly contacted him,
    and he ask me some few questions and so i did all the things he asked
    me to do,He ask me to buy some herbs and which I did for my cure,only
    to see that at the very day which he said i will be healed, all the
    strength that has left me before rush back and i becomes very strong
    and healthy, this disease almost kills my life all because of me, so i
    went to hospital to give the final test to the disease and the doctor
    said i am HIV negative, i am very amazed and happy about the healing
    doctor Hakim gave to me from the ancient part of Africa, you can email
    him now for your own healing too on his email:
    dr.hakimherbalspellworld@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete